Friday, November 30, 2012

Someday, You'll Be King



Someday You’ll Be King
03-11-2011


From the day I was born,
I’ve been promised the throne,
And the crown upon my head.
But is that all there is to life?
Is there not more?
Sometimes I wonder
What other possibilities are out there.

The women folk keep chanting my name,
And my fellow brothers they all say in vain
Someday you’ll be king, my friend,
And the empire will rise again.

Hiking the paths up through the mountain,
I escape to be at peace with myself,
And ponder what my daddy would’ve said,
What my daddy would’ve wanted for me…

You died far too soon, and I never knew my dad,
And this brother of yours, this uncle of mine,
Is not exactly the king this empire needs.

So perhaps that is it, isn’t it?
I was born to over-throw the wicked,
And put a rest to this evil,
And be the charismatic presence
Everybody says I could be.

I come over to the river,
And I see my reflection in the water,
I wonder about past civilizations,
And how we have evolved
But not by enough to stop fighting,
I suddenly feel the urge to cry,
But fight it, and decide it’s time to come home.

Coming back down to the capital city,
I hear them all chant my name,
And my fellow brothers they all say in vain,
Someday you’ll be king, my friend,
And the empire will rise again.

No comments:

Post a Comment